In a significant step for Deutsche Glasfaser’s growth strategy, it has elected to utilize Ekinops’ Ekinops360 platform to overhaul and unify its optical transport network across Germany. Deutsche Glasfaser’s choice, after extensive evaluation of several competitive tenders, was driven by a desire for a unified system that provides automation in service provisioning, rapid market-entry industry-leading cost-effectiveness.
In a landmark move, Zain Group, Ooredoo, and TASC Towers Holding have officially inked a definitive agreement to merge their tower assets, forming a colossal entity valued at $2.2 billion. This strategic collaboration, originating from talks initiated in July, consolidates a combined total of 30,000 towers spanning Qatar, Kuwait, Algeria, Tunisia, Iraq, and Jordan, establishing the largest tower company in the Middle East and North Africa.
In the third quarter of 2023, the North American Optical Transport equipment market experienced a 4 percent year-over-year contraction, according to a recent report by Dell’Oro Group, a leading source for market information in telecommunications, security, networks, and data centers. This stands in stark contrast to the global market, which saw a positive trend for the third consecutive quarter, growing by 6 percent year-over-year outside the North American region.
In a groundbreaking move, AT&T has selected Ericsson as the primary supplier for its Open RAN equipment, set to handle 70% of its wireless traffic by the close of 2026. The five-year agreement, valued at an impressive $14 billion, signals a significant shift in the North American telecommunications landscape. Under the deal, Ericsson will replace some of Nokia’s equipment in specific areas of AT&T’s network.
Malaysia’s 5G space sees major collaborative efforts as five mobile network operators (MNOs) each nets a 14% equity stake in Digital Nasional Berhad (DNB), forming a total 70% share. The remaining 30% will rest with the government. This bolstering of DNB’s finances aims to facilitate the evolution from the current Single Wholesale Network model to a more efficient Dual Network one.
SoftBank’s recent €473m acquisition of a 51% stake in Cubic Telecom indicates a growing confidence in connected vehicles’ market. Cubic’s unique software – already utilized in around 17 million vehicles worldwide – allows manufacturers to add new functionality over-the-air, enhancing safety and performance. According to McKinsey & Co, by 2030, 95% of new vehicles are anticipated to be connected, revealing the tremendous potential of this sector.
In a significant development, Malaysian telecommunications giant Axiata Group Berhad has officially confirmed its exit from the Nepalese market. The decision follows the announcement of an unconditional sale and purchase agreement with Spectrlite UK Limited for the divestment of Reynolds Holding Limited, the entity holding an approximately 80 percent equity stake in Ncell Axiata Limited.
In a landmark move, UK Chancellor Jeremy Hunt has underscored the significance of Microsoft’s transformative investment, heralding it as pivotal for the continual expansion and innovation within the UK technology sector. The multinational tech giant is set to broaden its data center footprint across the UK, unveiling plans for new facilities in London and Cardiff, with potential future expansion into the North of England. This strategic investment aims to double Microsoft’s existing number of data centers in the UK.
The rapid adoption of embedded SIMs (eSIMs) is poised to revolutionize the cellular Internet of Things (IoT) landscape, causing significant market disruption and driving growth, according to insights from GlobalData, a leading data and analytics company.
Last Friday experienced a network issue affecting many Three customers, drawing nearly 18,000 complaints. Meanwhile, Three is discussing a merger with Vodafone, a move subject to scrutiny by the Competition and Markets Authority which is currently conducting a formal Phase 1 investigation.