Telco Buzz

Orange Considers Selling Stake in Mauritius Telecom

LinkedIn Google+ Pinterest Tumblr

French telecommunications giant Orange is reportedly exploring the sale of its 40% stake in Mauritius Telecom, according to sources cited by Bloomberg. While Orange has engaged with advisers on the potential sale, discussions with Mauritius Telecom’s board about a possible buyback have not yet occurred.

Orange has held its 40% stake in the Mauritian company since 2000. The remaining 60% is owned by the Mauritian government through various state-owned investment entities. Mauritius Telecom is the leading telecom provider in the country, serving about 1.3 million subscribers.

This potential divestment is part of Orange’s broader strategy to refocus on its core assets and shed non-essential holdings. The company is actively pursuing consolidation efforts in Spain and Belgium. Notably, its merger with Spanish telecom operator MasMovil was approved by the European Commission in February, contingent on certain spectrum sales. As part of these conditions, Romania’s Digi, the largest mobile virtual network operator in Spain, will acquire spectrum from MásMóvil to become the fourth mobile operator in the market.

Orange’s strategic moves in Europe underline its commitment to leading in digital services. “Convergence in Europe has proven to be key to our leadership in Europe and demonstrates how Orange’s new strategy, Lead the Future, will continue to meet the digital needs that our customers in Europe demand,” stated Mari-Noëlle Jégo-Laveissière, CEO of Orange Europe, following the company’s acquisition of Belgian operator VOO SA in June last year.

The potential sale of its Mauritius Telecom stake reflects Orange’s ongoing efforts to streamline operations and enhance its focus on more profitable and strategic ventures.

Write A Comment