The Malaysian Mobile Network Operators (MNOs) – CelcomDigi Berhad (CelcomDigi) via Infranation Sdn Bhd, Maxis Broadband Sdn Bhd (Maxis), U Mobile Sdn Bhd (U Mobile), Telekom Malaysia Bhd (TM), and YTL Power International Bhd (YTL) – have announced a significant advancement in their collective efforts towards achieving a digital revolution. A formal ceremony was organized to sign share subscription agreements (SSAs), with YB Fahmi Fadzil, the Minister of Communications & Digital as the guest of honor at TRX Exchange 106.
With the signing of the SSAs, the five telecom operators will contribute an equal share of 14% each, totaling to a 70% equity stake in Digital Nasional Berhad (DNB). The Malaysian Government, on the other hand, will reserve the remaining 30% through the Minister of Finance. Each MNO is expected to inject approximately RM233 million, which will be allocated towards fulfilling DNB’s financial needs.
This progressive step is an acknowledgement of the relentless work done by the 5G Task Force appointed by the government, comprised of representatives from different government ministries, the Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission (MCMC), DNB and the respective MNOs. This team was formed in May 2023 with the goal to transition seamlessly from the Single Wholesale Network (SWN) model to the more efficient Dual Network (DN) model.
By the end of October 2023, Malaysia has registered about 3.6 million 5G service subscriptions, denoting an adoption rate of 10.8%. To inspire more consumers, the government in partnership with telecommunication companies set off the 5G Rahmah Package in August 2023.
This ground-breaking development brings us to the gist that the transformation towards a fully digitized telecom sector requires collaborative efforts both from the government and private entities. Such alliances not only expedite the developmental process but also facilitate keen competition that is necessary to foster innovation in the technological landscape.